Rates and payments

1. Overview

Rates and payments

Rates are Council's main source of income. We use rate income to maintain and improve services and facilities for the community. We operate under the base rating structure. Base rates enable each property to pay a similar amount for basic service provision and then the balance of the rate assessment is determined on the value of the property (excluding value of dwelling).

Rate pegging

All NSW councils operate under the rate pegging system. Under this system, councils are restricted in how much they can increase their rate base by each year. The NSW Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal determines the rate peg amount for councils. For 2019-20, the rate peg is 2.7%. This means that Council’s rate base can increase by 2.7% (excluding additional properties). Further information can be found on the IPART website.

Valuation of properties

The NSW Valuer General conducts valuations of properties in NSW. As mentioned above, the value of your property (excluding dwelling value) is used to calculate the amount of rates you pay. Depending on the outcome of the valuation, your rates charges may increase more than the rate peg amount, or may decrease. Further information is available on the Valuer General's website.

Special Rate Variation

The former Queanbeyan City Council gained approval for an ongoing Special Rate Variation of 5.8% to fund maintenance and upgrades to roads, footpaths and parks and sportsfields. A successful SRV application is the only way councils can increase their rate income above the rate peg amount. The one-off 5.8% increase was applied in 2011-12 and since then rates in the former Queanbeyan area have only increased by the rate peg amount.

Rate path following merger

Following the merger of Queanbeyan and Palerang councils, and all other merged councils in NSW, the NSW Government announced a four-year freeze on the rate path for all merged councils. This means that until 2020, all merged councils can not increase rates above the rate peg and must continue along existing rating paths. Both the former Queanbeyan and Palerang councils had applied the maximum rate peg amount before the merger and this path will be in place for the four years following the merger. Council will be working to harmonise rates across the new Local Government Area in the lead up to the 2020-21 financial year.

2. Receive your rates notices electronically

Residents can register to receive rates instalment notices electronically from Council. There is no charge for this service and you can check your notices at any time. You can also print, save and email all of your information. Once registered, rates notices will no longer be sent by mail and you will receive it by email approximately one month before due date.

If you would like to register to receive your rate notices sign up below. Notices will be sent via PDF to an email address nominated by you. If you have previously signed up you can log in from the link below.

3. Pay my rates? 

You will receive a rates notice four times a year unless you prefer to pay the whole amount in one instalment. Rate payments are due on 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May.

Pay now

Changes to rates notices

We have moved to a consolidated system, there are a number of changes to rates notices. Ratepayers should carefully check their notices and the details, or contact the rates team on 1300 735 025 for more information.

Changes for former Palerang

  • BPAY Biller Code is now 17400
  • Post Billpay for rates is 0489
  • Post Billpay for water is 2109
  • Property number now starts with a 3 and is increased to six digits
  • The reference number also starts with a 3 and has an additional check digit at the end
  • The water accounts numbers are different, starting with a 6 and longer than previous
  • To receive e-Notices (emailed accounts), you will need to sign up again

Changes for former Queanbeyan

  • General rates and water consumption are now on separate notices.
  • Assessment number is now called a property number and is one less digit than before (six digits).
  • Water bills have new payment details and new account details. All water account numbers/references will change and start with a 6.
  • eNotice accounts for water bills will need to be added to existing accounts

How do I pay my rates?

We have a number of payment methods that are available for our residents.

  • Pay your rates and charges online using our eservices website.
  • By calling out customer service team on 1300 735 025 (credit card)
  • Via any branch of Australia Post
  • BPAY – via telephone or internet

Please note: Due to COVID-19, all Council customer centres are closed. Payments can not be made at customer service centres. Australia Post accepts cash payments.

All payment methods are clearly shown on the back of your rates or water notice.

If you have multiple properties you will have different reference numbers for each property. This reference number directs your payment to the appropriate account.

Residents will have a different customer reference number for your rates account and water account.

4. What if I need help paying my rates?

If you are having difficulty in making your payments, please contact us on 1300 735 025. We have a Rates and Charges Debt Recovery Policy which you can download(PDF, 258KB). The policy allows you to manage your outstanding amount through a payment arrangement. If you wish to consider a payment arrangement please contact Council.

If you are experiencing financial difficulty as a result of COVID-19, drought or other reasons you can apply for rate relief by completing the Rate Relief Hardship Assistance form which can be completed online here or by downloading the form here(PDF, 258KB).

Drought relief

We will be offering relief to farmers to have their rates deferred. To apply you will need to complete the Rate Relief Hardship Assistance form above. This will be assessed and you will be notified in writing of the outcome.

Council will also provide assistance to farmers in the following ways:

  • Financial relief to eligible farmland property owners and occupiers where action is required regarding high priority weed infestations
  • Access to town water from the Bungendore, Captains Flat and Braidwood water supplies for eligible farmland properties, limited to 1000 litres per day. Water can be obtained from the following sites:
    • Braidwood - Bicentennial Park
    • Captains Flat - Wilkins Park
    • Bungendore - near Council depot in Ellendon St

What happens if I do not pay my rates on time?

If you do not pay your rates on time, a Debt Recovery Agency will send a reminder notice. This occurs where debts remain outstanding for 14 days from the instalment due date and where the balance exceeds $50. If the outstanding debt is not paid within 14 days of the reminder notice, Council’s Debt Recovery Agency will proceed with the issue of a Demand Letter and where necessary, commence legal action. 

5. Pension concession information

Under State legislation, some pensioners are eligible for concessions. The amount of the concessions available on an annual basis are fixed by legislation. At present, this concession is limited to up to $250 for ordinary rates and charges for domestic waste management services. In addition, an $87.50 rebate applies to residents in the urban area for both water and sewerage charges. This means concessions of up to $425 per annum are available. In addition to this, Council also provides up to an additional $40 per annum for eligible pensioners that live in the former Queanbeyan Local Government Area to compensate for the Special Rate Variation.

You can download the Pensioner Concession Application Form here(PDF, 600KB).

If you receive a pension or benefit you may be eligible for a concession even though someone else may jointly own and occupy the property. To obtain further information please phone Council on 1300 735 025 or download the Fact Sheet here(PDF, 105KB) .

6. Change your address

Click here to view form.

7. Change of name

Click here to view form.

8. Cancel direct debit

Click here to view form.