2018 Queanbeyan & the Region NAIDOC Awards
Published on 11 October 2018
Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council are seeking nominations for the 2018 NAIDOC Awards.
The NAIDOC Awards are a new initiative in partnership with community partners Queanbeyan Police, Headspace Queanbeyan, Grand Pacific Health Queanbeyan, Uniting Queanbeyan, Women’s Legal Centre – ACT & Region, Queanbeyan Blues, Indigenous Women’s Boot Camp, and Coolamon Advisors.
“Many local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people contribute to Australian society through music, art, culture, community, education, environment, sport, employment and politics,” said Aboriginal Community Liaison and Projects Officer Tina Brown.
“If you think that someone in our community deserves to be recognised for their contribution, then nominate them for a 2018 NAIDOC Award.”
To be eligible for a 2018 NAIDOC Award, people must:
- Be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent;
- Identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander;
- Provide evidence of descent;
- Be accepted as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community and;
- Be available to attend the NAIDOC Awards Ceremony 2018.
Nominations are open for the following categories:
- Apprentice or Trainee of The Year must have held current position for a minimum of 3 months.
- Sportsperson of the Year must be signed to a specific code of sport within the region or state.
- Youth of the Year (male or female) must be aged between 16-25 years old.
- Elder of the Year (male or female) must be aged over 60 years to qualify.
- Person of the Year (male or female) must be an active member of community.
- Non – Indigenous Organisation must be an active member of community within the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community.
- Inspirational Woman is open to indigenous women who have made a significant contribution to the community, or individuals that can demonstrate positive change under the 2018 National NAIDOC theme “Because Of Her We Can”.
The nomination form is available on Council’s website at: www.qprc.nsw.gov.au/Community/QPRC-NAIDOC-Awards-Ceremony.
Nominations close 8 November 2018.
The NAIDOC Awards Ceremony will be held from 6.30-8.30pm, 23 November at the Queanbeyan Basketball Stadium, 2 Southbar Road, Karabar.