Economic and retail growth a priority of Council
Published on 03 October 2018
Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council has confirmed its commitment to economic and retail growth in the region in releasing the draft Regional Economic Development Strategy and Queanbeyan Retail Growth Strategy for public comment.
The draft strategies, developed following consultation with the residents, businesses, government agencies and industry representatives, will help drive economic growth across the region and enhance the retail and hospitality industry in Queanbeyan.
“The release of these two draft strategies is the culmination of many months of work and consultation and provides Council, the community and businesses with a range of recommendations to drive the region forward,” Queanbeyan-Palerang Mayor, Cr Tim Overall said.
“This is the first Economic Development Strategy for Queanbeyan-Palerang and it looks at the strengths of region and suggests some candidate projects that would help achieve the desired outcome of the Strategy.
“We know that the retail industry in Queanbeyan needs revitalisation and this draft Strategy presents some encouraging and interesting suggestions to develop a retail sector that attracts visitors and satisfies locals.”
Draft Regional Economic Development Strategy
The draft Strategy, developed with the NSW Government’s Centre for Economic and Regional Development, provides a key framework for guiding economic activity and policy in QPRC and provides an instrument in which to attract funding and investment for regional projects. The Strategy emphasises the distinctive and unique strengths of the region which suggest some key strategic imperatives:
- improve the digital connectivity to harness the innovative capacity of the workforce
- re-establish the town centres as ‘Places for People’
- grow the population and internal markets of the Region
- further develop specialised agriculture and food, and cultural tourism.
Draft Retail Growth Strategy
The draft Strategy identifies and recommends realistic and innovative strategies to achieve the long-term rejuvenation of the Queanbeyan CBD. This includes identifying prioritised actions for stakeholders, such as businesses, community and Council.
Some of the key recommendations of the draft Strategy include:
- Consolidate the retail offer around the anchor stores
- Form a Retail Investment Development Group with clear project roles and responsibilities to administer and deliver retail leasing plans and explore opportunities to acquire and redevelop strategic or long term vacant sites
- Develop the restaurant, café, small bar and hospitality sector to create unique destinations and experiences within the CBD to meet the local demand and win back ‘escape’ expenditure
- Create one or two unique restaurant precincts/laneways/streets anchored by key businesses complemented by unique urban design elements including piazzas and high quality public realm
- Create a business group to guide the retail and commercial economy forward aligned with world’s best practice including Place management models such as Business Improvement Districts (BIDs).
Both draft Strategies are on public exhibition throughout October 2018 and can be viewed at yourvoice.qprc.nsw.gov.au or Council’s offices.