QPRC Aquatics and community centres to reopen on 22 June
Published on 18 June 2020
Council will reopen the Queanbeyan indoor pool, community centres and facilities managed by section 355 Committees from Monday 22 June following the easing of COVID-19 restrictions.
While outdoor pools have been permitted to open for some time, the NSW Government’s recent easing of restrictions on indoor pools has allowed Council to reopen the pool to lap swimming and aqua aerobics classes.
“The indoor pool forms an important part of our community, both from an exercise and mental wellbeing point of view,” Queanbeyan-Palerang Mayor, Cr Tim Overall said. “Obviously, the weather doesn’t allow us to open our outdoor pool at the moment, however it will be very pleasing to see patrons back in our indoor pool.”
The indoor pool will be open to lap swimmers and aqua aerobics classes only between 5.30am-7.30pm weekdays and 10am-5pm weekends. Some of the key points of the reopening include:
- Lap swimming only, with one swimmer per lane. Bookings required (one hour bookings, 45 minutes swimming and 15 minutes preparation)
- Aqua aerobics classes limited to 20 people, bookings required.
- Lap swimming not available while aqua aerobics is on
- Indoor change rooms/toilets closed due to renovations. Users encouraged to arrive prepared for swimming.
- Payment on booking, no refund for cancelled bookings
- No cash transactions at Aquatic Centre
- One booking per person, per day
- Bookings are required, but will not be accepted more than seven days in advance
- Name and contact details will be recorded securely
“To ensure we can reopen, we need to change the way we do business and I am confident that our users will be understanding of these changes,” Cr Overall said. “Some pre-planned upgrades are occurring in the indoor change rooms and toilets, however outdoor facilities remain available.”
Council’s various community centres, and other facilities managed by section 355 Committees will also reopen, with adjustments made to the hire agreement. All hirers of these facilities will need to ensure they follow COVID-19 restrictions regarding gathering sizes and social distancing practices. The conditions of use as set by the NSW Government are:
- Limitation - there must be no more than the total number of people allowing 4m² for each person in the facility at any one time, including staff members, on the premises
- Conditions -
- any class or organised event provided at the centre must have no more than 20 people participating (not including the instructor, assistants or parents, guardians and carers of participants);
- the centre must have a COVID-19 safety plan.
Bookings for lap swimming and aqua aerobics can be made by calling the centre on 6285 6346 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information, including the aqua aerobics schedule, can be found at https://qprcaquatics.com.au/
Community centre bookings can be made via www.qprc.nsw.gov.au/Facilities-Recreation/Venues-and-Open-Spaces-for-Hire, by calling 1300 735 025 or by contacting the responsible section 355 Committee.