World Environment Day Minecraft Competition
Welcome to the 2023 QPRC Minecraft Sustainable Design Competition!
Solutions to Plastic Pollution
We want our entrants to explore the world of plastic pollution and recycling. The competition is open to all primary-aged students in the QPRC area, and our entrants will be tasked with building a Minecraft world that explores solutions to our plastic pollution problem. You can build whatever you want, so long as it fits the theme. Once you’ve built your design, record a 2-3 minute video showing what you designed and explaining how it fits the theme.
Some design ideas
- A sustainable public park that uses recycled plastic.
- A backyard that uses recycled plastic from around the home.
- A building made from repurposed plastic.
- A recycling plant or waste minimisation centre.
- A natural area with measures to prevent plastic pollution (like a plastic-catcher in rivers).
- Anything else! Use your imagination and come up with a design that means something to you.
Who can enter?
The competition is open to any primary-school aged children across the QPRC Local Government Area. Entrants will be broken into groups based on their year in school:
- Stage One – Years K-2
- Stage Two – Years 3-4
- Stage Three – Years 5-6
How do I enter?
- Entries will open Monday 6 March
- Download the Minecraft base world to use(MCWORLD, 7MB)
- Build your design.
- Take a 2-3 minute narrated video of your design, telling us what you have designed and how it provides a Solution to Plastic Pollution. Please follow our video recording guide(PDF, 234KB) to film your best quality video. Your video should:
- begin with a quick fly-over of your entire design,
- show and explain each part of your design,
- be no more than 3 minutes long, and
- not use any music or imagery that isn’t from the Minecraft game.
- Upload your video to the QPRC website before 9pm on Monday June 5. You can upload your video at any point before this time, but you only get one entry per person.
If you have an questions email email@example.com
Terms and Conditions
Download the terms and conditions here(PDF, 266KB)
All entries will be judged by an independent panel of judges. Prizes will be awarded to the best entry in each category, and a prize for the best overall entry. Prizes will be largely provided by sponsors and include prizes from provided by Questacon, the National Dinosaur Museum, and Cockington Green Gardens.
The Awards Night
The Awards Night will be at Bicentennial Hall at 6.15pm on Friday June 23, with a light meal provided. The Awards Night is open to entrants and their guardians. If you have any dietary requirements, please contact Minecraft@qprc.nsw.gov.au. More information will be provided closer to the event.
QPRC would like to thank all the businesses and organisations who have provided sponsorship and donated prizes for this competition. This includes Questacon, The National Dinosaur Museum, and Cockington Green Gardens.
2022 Competition Winners
Overall winner - Cameron de Jongh
5-8 year category
- Alex Kennedy - Highly Commended
- Hamish Henry - Winner
- Kayley Henderson - Highly Commended
- Gerry, Lola and Ike Lloyd - Winner
- Alfie Kelly - Highly Commended
- Lucinda Henderson - Winner
- Henry Moss
- Rocky Dal Molin