You can check when your next waste collection by entering your address on the "My Neighbourhood" page which can be accessed via the link at the bottom on this page.
Generally, garbage, recycling and green waste collections continue as normal on public holidays. The exceptions to this are for any collection that would routinely fall on Christmas Day or Good Friday. Please check the waste calendar for the rescheduled collection day.
There will be no general distribution of calendars this year.
You can get a 2017/18 waste collection calendar by:
- downloading a copy
- pick up a copy during office hours from any Council service centre
- contact Council to request a calendar be sent to you:
Call: (02) 6238 8111 (former Palerang residents) (02) 6285 6246 (former Queanbeyan Council residents) during business hours
To ensure that your bin is emptied place it out the night before your scheduled collection. You also need to position your bins correctly to ensure easy access for the collection vehicle.
The below diagrams show bin placement for detached houses, townhouses and rural properties. If you live in a unit and share bins, these bins will be collected and emptied by the contractor from the bin storage area.
Get it right on bin night
Check your calendar, sticker or inside of the bin to find out what goes in each bin. Contaminated bins will not be emptied and will be reported to Council.
Waste collection trucks are fitted with GPS and cameras and if issues occur with a collection this will be reported to Council.
- Place bins near the kerb with the wheels towards the house.
- Leave about 50cm between your bins when you place more than one at the kerb.
- To avoid spillage, please ensure that your bin is not over full and that the lid is properly closed. Bins may not be collected if overfull
Avoid placing bins where trees, poles or parked cars could obstruct collection. Bins will not be collected if obstructed
- Please do not place your bins on the road or gutter as this makes them prone to damage and a hazard to vehicles.
- If you live on a rural property, please leave the bins by the roadside or where the contractor has indicated is the best position for collection.
- Loose rubbish will not be collected.
- Please return your bins to your property as soon as possible following collection to avoid them being stolen or damaged as costs apply for replacement bins.