Building and Certification

1. Overview

There are a number of certificates that may be required when carrying out building and development works.

2. When is a Construction Certificate required?

A Construction Certificate is required after development consent has been issued and before any building work has commenced on site. ‘Building work’ means any activity on a site including:

  • Site clearance
  • Earth-moving
  • Excavation
  • Laying of foundations
  • Erection of any building.

This process assesses the structural components of your Development Application (DA) to make sure that it meets the requirements of the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and any applicable standards.

Who can issue a Construction Certificate?

You can apply for a Construction Certificate through the NSW Planning Portal or an accredited certifier.

If applying directly through the Planning Portal Council you can make your application at the same time as applying for your DA. If you are applying through a private certifier you will need to make your application after your DA is processed by Council.

What information do I need to provide?

Your DA plans and building specifications need to accompany your Construction Certificate application. A structural engineer’s design for the footing/slab and steel work may also be required.  Documents need to be submitted in an electronic format via the NSW Planning Portal.

Apply for a Construction Certificate

All applications need to be submitted via the NSW Planning Portal.

What else is required before work begins?

A Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) must be appointed before commencing any building or subdivision works.  You may nominate either Council or a privately accredited certifier to act as your PCA. You must give Council at least two days notice of your intention to commence work.

If you need further advice call us on 1300 735025.

When does a Construction Certificate lapse?

A construction certificate lapses with the development consent.

3. Building Occupation Certificate

A Building Occupation Certificate must be obtained from the appointed PCA before the building, or part of the building, can be occupied or used.

This document certifies that a building relating to your development consent is safe to be occupied in accordance with the Building Code of Australia.

If Council is the PCA, your application must be submitted to us prior to the inspection being conducted.

If you need further advice call us on 1300 735025.

All applications for Occupation Certificates need to be made via the NSW Planning Portal.

4. Certificate of Compliance for plumbing and drainage work

If your development involves plumbing and/or drainage works your plumber/drainer will need to provide a Certificate of Compliance for plumbing and drainage work to you and Council.

You can download the Certificate of Compliance for Plumbing and Drainage Work from NSW Fair Trading.