Making a claim against Council

Pen pointing at wooden wooden letters spelling out claim

To submit a claim against Council for alleged loss or personal injury, please complete the online form below. You can also download a PDF version(PDF, 451KB)  and submit it via email to, or in person at our customer service centres in Queanbeyan, Bungendore and Braidwood.  

Council will try to respond to a claim as quickly as possible, and within 21 days of receipt. The processing of claims is often dependent on supplying relevant information. Claims may take some time to assess. As an alternative, you may wish to lodge a claim under your own insurance policy. Your insurer may then consider seeking cost recovery against Council. 

When dealing with claims, Council works within the framework of its legal obligations and responsibilities under the Civil Liability Act 2002. This Act recognises that functions exercised by a public authority (such as Council) are limited by financial and other resources. Further information on these provisions under the Civil Liability Act can be found by following this link

If a claim relates to a site or project managed by a Council contractor, the claim may be referred to the contractor for assessment. 

Submitting your claim 

When submitting the claim form, you will be asked to include relevant supporting documents. These can include: 

  • Photographs of the hazard 
  • Photographs of the damage/injury 
  • Maps or diagrams of the alleged incident location 
  • Medical certificates or copies of other medical reports 
  • Receipts, quotes or invoices for costs incurred