Register and Microchip Your Pet

Vet using microchip reader to identify cat

1. Register Your Pet

All pets within the municipality need to be registered.

To register your pet for the first time you will need the animal’s 15 digit microchip number as well as proof of microchipping and desexing. Proof of concession is also required if you wish to pay a reduced registration fee.

You can register your pet online.

Alternatively, animal registration applications and fees can be lodged at the Animal Management Facility in Old Sydney Road, Queanbeyan or at our offices in Braidwood, Bungendore or Queanbeyan.

You can view our current fees and charges here.

All applications for registration are to be filled out in full and signed by the animal owner who must be over 18 years old.

2. Claim a Concession

To claim a concession on your registration fee, you must have evidence of the following:

  • Desexing: A certificate of sterilisation from your vet.
  • Breeder membership: If the animal owner is a registered breeder, a copy of their membership from an approved organisation.
  • Assistance animal: If the animal is an assistance animal, evidence of assistance animal registration from an approved organisation.
  • Pension: If the animal owner is a pensioner, a current government pension card.

3. Microchipping

It is compulsory for all dogs and cats to be permanently identified (microchipped) by the age of 12 weeks and registered for life by age six months under the Companion Animals Act NSW 1998.

A microchip allows for your pet to be identified by Council or a vet which is important should they become lost.

Microchipping can be performed for a fee by your local vet, or at the Animal Management Facility by a qualified microchip implanter.

4. Keep Your Details Updated

You must update your pet's details with us when you move house or change your phone number. Forms are available from the Pound or you can call: 02 6285 6269.

Failure to update your contact details may result in a fine.

You can also create an owner profile with the NSW Pet Registry.

This register allows you to:

  • Update your contact details online.
  • Report your pet missing online.
  • Change the ownership of pets online.

5. Advise Us If Ownership Changes

As the current owner, it is your responsibility to provide ‘new owner’ details to Council should you sell your pet or give your pet away.

You will need to complete a pet ownership form and include the new owner’s details and get their signature on the form before lodging it at the Animal Management Facility or Council's Customer Service Centres. Failure to update ownership details may result in a fine.

Call Customer Service on: 02 6285 6269 if you require further guidance or information.

Selling or Giving Away Cats or Dogs

From 1 July 2019, the rules are changing for selling or giving away cats, kittens, dogs and puppies. People in NSW advertising them will need to include an ID number in all advertisements. The ID number can be either a microchip number, a breeder identification number, or a rehoming organisation number. 

The rules will apply to all advertisements including those in newspapers, posters, community notice boards and all forms of online advertising such as the Trading Post, Gumtree and social media sites.

The change is designed to help people looking to buy a cat or dog search the NSW Pet Registry to see the animal’s breed, sex, age, whether it’s desexed, whether or not it’s registered and whether any annual permit is in place. 

For further information about the changes, visit the NSW Dept of Primary Industries website.