Resource Recovery and Recycling Programs

1. Recycle Right

Contaminated recycling may be sent to landfill if it is too heavily contaminated. It is harder to sell on domestic and international markets, may contribute to stockpiling on site and can create serious safety issues for staff. In order to ensure the material in our yellow bins continues to be recycled, we are asking that people keep it simple and clean.

Follow the six Recycle Right messages below for using your yellow lid recycling bin:

  • Keep it Simple: Only recycle paper and cardboard, steel and aluminium cans, glass bottles and jars, plastic bottles and containers.
  • Keep out Soft Plastics: This includes all plastic bags, even if they have a recycling symbol, are degradable or compostable, and other soft plastics including cling wrap, chip packets and bread bags.
  • Keep out Small Items: Any items smaller than a credit card. All plastic lids now need to be removed from bottles and those smaller than a credit card put in your landfill bin.
  • Keep it Safe: Keep out strapping, hose, netting, wires, building materials and other hazardous materials.
  • Keep it Clean: wipe or rinse any excess food and drink from all bottles, containers and tins before placing them in your recycling bin. Keep out food scraps, nappies and soiled paper
  • Keep it Loose: put each item into your yellow recycling bin separately, don’t bag, box or contain your recyclable items. 

You can print a Recycle Right poster to display in your school, workplace or home. Download here.(PDF, 2MB)

Keep it simple poster

2. Return and Earn

You are now able to get a 10 cent refund for eligible drink containers as part of the NSW Government’s container deposit scheme, Return and Earn. Eligible drink containers include most between 150ml and three litres that are predominately consumed away from home and found in the litter stream.

Collection points will be located across NSW, including Jerrabomberra, Queanbeyan, Queanbeyan East and Braidwood which makes it easy for residents to return and earn.

To participate you simply take your eligible containers, that should be empty, uncrushed, unbroken and with the original label attached, to your closest return point. You can visit the Return and Earn website to check drop-off locations.

You can still use your kerbside recycling bins for ineligible drink containers. You can also still place your eligible containers into the kerbside recycling bins or even donate them to local charities or community groups that are collecting them for fundraising purposes.

Return and Earn is the state’s largest litter-reduction initiative and will help to reduce the almost 160 million drink containers littered in NSW communities every year.

The Return and Earn scheme is not a council run scheme and we do not operate the vending machine. If you have a complaint about the scheme please contact Return and Earn via their website

3. Chemical Cleanout Events and Community Recycling Centres (CRC)

Common household problems wastes, including fluorescent lights, smoke detectors, paint, gas bottles, fire extinguishers, batteries and oils, can now be taken to your local Community Recycling Centre throughout the year.

If there is no Community Recycling Centres in your area, you can take these items and others to a Chemical CleanOut event.

Check the link for eligible items and locations.

4. What Can I Do With My Greenwaste?

  • Remember to check what can go into your green waste bin if you live in the former Queanbeyan Council area (check the sticker under the lid or back of your waste calendar ). If you have large amounts you can take your green waste to the nearest green waste drop off. Remember no garbage or plastic bags in your green waste bins.
  • Food scraps can be fed to worms, compost bins, chooks, bokashi bins or the family pet. If you do not have any of these hungry beasts you can place your food scraps into a council supplied compostable bag and then into your FOGO green organics bin (check under the lid for acceptable materials or the back or your waste calendar). If you need more compostable bags please contact: 1300 735 025 or call into the Council offices at Braidwood, Bungendore, Queanbeyan or transfer stations. In the meantime, you can put food scraps straight into the FOGO green organics bin, or wrap them in newspaper and then into the FOGO bin.  (Please do not use plastic or biodegradable bags for your food/pet waste if placing in the green FOGO bins only use compostable bags supplied by Council).

5. Green Caffeen

We have partnered with Green Caffeen. Green Caffeen is a FREE reusable coffee cup system for eco-focused cafes and coffee lovers across Australia. All you need to do is scan your Green Caffeen cup out before you takeaway, then scan it back in next time you’re in any café that’s part of the program.

For more information and to find participating cafes visit -

6. Lids for Kids

We no longer accept lids at our offices. Lids for Kids have a drop-off location in Fyshwick where they also hold workshops visit -