Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council is a values-based organisation. Our values are Integrity, Respect, Innovation, and Continuous Improvement. These values define our workplace culture, shape how we interact with and serve the local community, and drive our performance through an engaged workforce.
We are committed to ethical, transparent, honest, and professional behaviour and decision-making. We facilitate a thorough merit-based recruitment and selection process that allows all candidates an equal opportunity to secure employment.
We are committed to encouraging people of all genders, cultures and backgrounds to join us. We promote equal opportunity through our Diversity and Inclusion Group, Reconciliation Action Plan and Disability Inclusion Action Plan. We focus on ensuring respectful conduct towards those inside and outside our organisation and providing a safe workplace environment. New employees are required to complete Respectful Behaviours eLearning which details our policy on respectful conduct in accordance with our Code of Conduct.
We are a future-focused, forward-thinking organisation that values innovative practices. These can include:
- the creative use of technology
- having an appropriate risk appetite
- encouraging curiosity and
- consistently striving to exceed expectations.
An example our commitment to innovation is our Workplace Innovation Group (WIG) which focuses on engaging our workforce to participate in developing innovative solutions to unique topics.
In 2020, we won the prestigious A R Bluett Memorial Award for being the most progressive Council in NSW.
We implement efficient and effective systems, processes and structures on an ongoing basis. The needs of our local government area are constantly changing and evolving. This requires us to be adaptable to change. Our teams demonstrate continuous improvement from our Library’s digital and home delivery services, installation of digitised water meters, environmental sustainability projects and community engagement programs.
We offer competitive benefits to support an exciting working experience for our employees. These include:
- Consideration of flexible working arrangements to support a balanced lifestyle including working from home and flex-time where operationally suitable.
- Study assistance for those looking to expand their skills within their profession.
- Operational staff work a 9-day fortnight with a rostered day off
- Professional development through numerous learning and development courses. This includes participation in the LG Professional’s Rural Management Challenge.
- Our Social Club participate in exciting social events including lunch and dinners, performing arts events at The Q and sporting events.
- Our new head office in Queanbeyan is under construction and due for completion in 2023.
- Positions available at workplaces in Queanbeyan, Bungendore and Braidwood.
- Generous leave entitlements, including health and wellbeing leave and paid superannuation.
Local government is a highly rewarding sector that is primarily focused on building, improving, and providing capability for local communities through the diverse range of services provided. Working at QPRC allows our people to work closely with and give back to their local community.
Our employees work across more than 30 workplaces in three main locations in our local government area. Staff are primarily located in Queanbeyan, Bungendore and Braidwood. Employees are spoilt for choice in the places they can work ranging from community libraries, a lively performing arts centre, stunning heritage buildings and spectacular parks and gardens across the local government area.
Our new head office, the Queanbeyan Civic and Cultural Precinct, is expected to be completed in mid-2023. The office space will be shared with a NSW Government tenant and employees will have access to unique and innovative facilities along with a rooftop garden, kitchen facilities and break-out spaces.
Further information and concept designs can be viewed through the following link:
We are committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment and culture for all our employees, councillors, contractors, volunteers and visitors. We are proud that our organisation has once again been Health, Safety, Environment and Quality certified by Sustainable Certification. This means our facilities meet the requirements for International Organisation Standards ISO 9001 for Quality, ISO 14001 for Environment and ISO45001 for Occupational Health & Safety. More information on this certification is available here.
Examples of our commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace for our people include:
- Management that develops, leads and promotes a strong safety culture in the organisation
- Consultation and participation of employees in WHS matters
- Promotion and protection of physical and mental health
- Simple and accessible incident, near miss, hazard identification, and injury reporting
- 13 health and safety representatives that make up our WHS committee
- Support for those injured at work
- Compulsory Work Health and Safety eLearning modules for all employees
- Risk management strategies in place
- Random drug and alcohol testing
We are committed to supporting the health and wellbeing of our people. Our vision is to continue to build and maintain a workplace environment and culture that supports healthy lifestyle choices. Some examples of our commitment to employee wellbeing include:
- Discounted membership rates at local gyms
- Our Peer Support program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Trained Mental Health First Aiders
- Regular online wellbeing seminars (tips on healthy eating, getting active, managing heavy workloads, etc).
- Designated wellbeing and return to work officer