Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Playschool
Where and When
The playschool meets at Letchworth Community Centre, 28 Miller St, Queanbeyan each Wednesday from 12.00pm-2.00pm during school terms. More information is available by calling our Community Program Facilitator, Victoria Byron, on 6285 6365 or 0484 229 565.
What is the program
Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council coordinates a playschool program for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander children aged 3-6 years. Playschool provides a wonderful learning opportunity where children can socialise, enjoy each others’ company and make friends. Children will participate in a range of structured and fun activities alongside qualified staff.
Helping children to get a good start at school is very important. The playschool program helps parents from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community give their children the skills they need to start school.
Special programs available during the year include:
- emergency services
- health services and clinics
- cultural awareness
- environmental and recycling
- personal and animal safety
- transition to school
- family gatherings
- healthy eating
Families are welcome to attend sessions and see how their children are going or to discuss their child’s progress with the friendly staff.
- Friendly, trained staff
- learning through play in a fun filled environment
- a healthy lunch
- assistance and information for parents and families
- parents can help out once a term assisting staff and interacting with the children
- transport may be organised pending vehicle availability
- children are required to be toilet trained