Your responsibilities as a pet owner

1. Dog owners

Dog owners in NSW have a range of responsibilities under the Companion Animals Act 1998.

It is the law that all dogs are registered and microchipped.

Visit the the Office of Local Government website to learn about being a responsible pet owner, including desexing, nuisance pets, what to do when your dog goes missing and how the NSW Pet Registry works. We have also developed a factsheet about responsible dog ownership which can be downloaded here(PDF, 1MB) .

View the QPRC local orders policy for the Keeping of Domestic Animal(PDF, 514KB).

2. Owning a restricted or dangerous dog breed

Owners of restricted and dangerous dogs in NSW have a range of responsibilities under the Companion Animals Act 1998. The Office of Local Government website provides detailed information on your responsibilities as the owner of a restricted or dangerous dog:

3. Dog obedience

Keeping your dog active and practicing obedience may help curb any behavioural problems you may experience. Try a local Dog Obedience Training Club that provides experienced obedience Instructors to help train your dog in a group environment.

 For more personalised training try a trainer who understands issues such as barking and separation anxiety:

4. Nuisance behaviour including barking dogs

Barking dogs are the most common nuisance behaviour which our Rangers respond to. Other nuisance behaviours may include repeatedly straying animals, destructive cats, crowing roosters or smelly horses. With all nuisance behaviours it is recommended that you speak with the animal's owner to resolve the problem before involving Council.

Resolving a barking dog issue can be a lengthy process and requires the cooperation of the complainant and the dog's owner. Council cannot remove a dog from a premises. We will work with both parties to improve the situation utilising regulatory tools available under the Companion Animals Act where required to improve the outcome.

What you can do:

  • Identify the correct address of the offending dog.
  • Speak with the owner and give them time to improve the behavior.
  • If the noise persists, lodge a written complaint with us. This can be sent via email to or lodged online below. A letter will be sent out to the dog owner and/or resident at the address supplied, advising a complaint has been received and one month will be given to combat any excess barking emitted from the property in question before the reporter can pursue the matter further.
  • If the offending dog is still causing a problem after one month, lodge a second complaint with us. You will then be requested to keep a diary of the dog's barking habits and detail the effect it is having on you. This will assist us with the investigation and can be used in court as evidence if required.
  • Forward the completed diary to us. If the diary indicates that the barking is unreasonable our Rangers will then carry out a neighbourhood survey to determine if any other residents are affected by the dog to be confident of the validity and severity of the complaint.
  • If the investigation reveals that the problem is significant a Nuisance Dog Order will be served. Failure to comply with the order may result in significant fines being issued to the dog owner.

If there is a lack of evidence the complainant will be advised to seek their own mediation through the Community Justice Centre or seek a Noise Abatement Order from the local court.

Click here to view form.

5. Cat owners

Cat owners in NSW have a range of responsibilities under the Companion Animals Act 1998. The Department of Local Government website provides information on the responsibilities of cat owners, penalty notices issued under the Act and what to do if your cat is missing.

Owners should consider desexing their cats as this decreases unplanned and unnecessary breeding and will help to reduce roaming cats in the area. As a responsible cat owner you should consider confinement of your cat/s to your property, particularly from dusk till dawn. This approach is strongly encouraged, for the cat’s safety, for the safety of wildlife and to prevent cats being a nuisance in the community.

Sub wild cats

A growing stray cat population creates public health risk and nuisance, especially if they are not vaccinated and desexed. Feeding and harbouring stray and feral cats contributes to over population and does not necessarily benefit the cat's wellbeing. Traps can be hired from the Queanbeyan-Palerang Animal Management Services for seven working days. Once a cat has been caught, cover with a sheet or towel and bring the cat to the Queanbeyan-Palerang Animal Management Facility.