We are currently developing our new Waste Management Strategy which will cover our entire Local Government Area.
One of the key components of this strategy will be ascertaining how we can serve and assist both the community and businesses to improve their waste management practices.
Kerbside Bin Audit Report 2018
Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council engaged EC Sustainable Pty Ltd (EC Sustainable) to conduct a Council-wide audit of the kerbside residential bins, including all bin systems: residual waste, recycling, and organics. The audit was conducted in summer 2018, during February.
Council conducted this audit to measure the current performance of the various bin systems:
- 3-bin system: waste, recycling and organics:
- Garden Organics (GO) in Oueanbeyan and Googong.
- Food and Garden Organics (FOGO) in Braidwood, Bungendore and Captains Flat.
- 2-bin system: waste and recycling.
- 1 bin system: recycling only.
Council conducted this audit to update its characterisation of bin streams, plan for future services and provide additional data for 'eligible containers' in the Container Deposit Scheme (CDS). This was the first audit conducted of the amalgamated Councils of Oueanbeyan and Palerang. It was also the first audit since the introduction of the CDS, also known as Return and Earn, which commenced on 1 December 2017.
This audit was generally designed to conform to the NSW residential waste auditing guidelines known as the "NSW EPA (previous OEH) Guidelines" or the "Guidelines for Conducting Household Kerbside Residual Waste, Recycling and Garden Organics Audits in NSW Local Government Areas" (NSW EPA, 2008) and "Addendum 2010" (NSW EPA, 2010).
- A target sample size of 264 households.
- Matched waste and recycling bins sampled in 2-bin system areas. This means the pair of waste and recycling bins were collected from the same household that presented both streams. For 3-bin system areas, the organics bin was targeted at the same households in the alternative collection week of the collection fortnight cycle.
- A visual survey of the bins at the kerbside prior to collection.
- Individual household bag collection method of the bin contents inspected.
- Approximately 90 material sorting categories, the NSW EPA Guidelines, plus CDS.
- Detailed data analysis as provided in this report.
The objective of this audit was to provide the data indicators for: generation rate by weight when a bin is presented; generation rate by volume; unrecovered resources in the waste bin; contamination rate; resource recovery rate; diversion rate; and eligible CDS containers. It also provided a comparison with the previous audit years.
Here is a full copy of the Household Kerbside Bin System Audit 2018(PDF, 2MB)