Our hard waste kerbside collection helps residents dispose of larger damaged or unusable household items that cannot be disposed of through regular kerbside bin service, or items unable to be given away or recycled or reused.
Residential properties that have a 3-bin individual collection service, who live in the townships of Braidwood, Captains Flat, Bungendore and Queanbeyan, can access two free kerbside hard rubbish collections each financial year. You are able to dispose of up to two cubic metres of waste per collection.
Multi-unit properties or properties with a shared service have hard waste collections on a scheduled basis twice a financial year. More information is sent to eligible properties as the scheduled date approaches. Please contact council if you need further information 1300 735025.
We encourage residents to find homes or recycle items before placing out for collection. All items except for metals and mattresses will go to landfill.
- Household items, furniture, books, toys, clothes etc that are still in good order can be donated to a charity, given away on free websites such as free cycle, gum tree, local buy swap groups, and buy nothing social media sites.
- The Tip Shop at Bungendore or Braidwood may also be able to take items in good working order. Check our website for opening hours
- Mobile phones, printer cartridges, gas bottle, batteries, florescent lights, paints, oils, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms can be taken to the Bungendore or Queanbeyan CRC https://www.qprc.nsw.gov.au/Waste-Environment/Waste/Waste-Transfer-Stations-and-Waste-Minimisation-Centre.
- Paints, engine oil and batteries can also be taken to Braidwood Transfer Station
- Paper and cardboard and other containers that normally go in the yellow topped recycling bin can be taken to the Queanbeyan Waste Minimisation Centre, Bungendore Transfer Station, Braidwood Transfer Station, Nerriga Transfer Station, Macs Reef Road transfer station or Captains Flat Transfer station.
You can also call 1300 735025
Once your booking has been processed your booking date will be confirmed by email or SMS.
A reminder SMS or email will be sent two working days prior to your scheduled collection.
If you need to cancel or change your booking please do this by the Friday before your booking date.
Terms and Conditions
Download the Terms and Conditions for a kerbside collection(PDF, 274KB)
You agree that you will:
- Place hard waste out for collection no earlier than one (1) day before the scheduled collection date and no later than 6am on the scheduled collection date.
- Place items with a volume of no more than two (2) cubic metres in total out for collection.
- Not place items out for collection that are on the “Unaccepted Items” list or items that cannot be safely lifted by two (2) people
- Place items immediately adjacent to the property driveway to facilitate collection
- Not place items on footpaths or otherwise block pedestrian or vehicle movement
- Make reasonable efforts to tidy up any items that may move/fall/shift or be moved by others until such time as the collection occurs
- Forfeit the hard waste collection allocation if hard waste is not presented on the scheduled date
- Remove any items not collected by Council or its Contractor in a timely manner and no more than two (2) days after the scheduled collection date
- Tidy up the area where items were left after they have been collected
- PLEASE NOTE – Do not leave any items that you want to keep near the cleanup items, as council or the contractor will not be responsible if those items are removed during the cleanup.
Unaccepted Items List
Following items are NOT accepted in the Kerbside collections:
- TVS and computers, monitors
- Printer cartridges
- Gas bottles
- Florescent lights
- Fire extinguishers
- Smoke alarms
- Construction waste (Concrete, bricks, tiles, rocks, soil, plasterboard, gyprock etc)
- Manufactured Wood lengths greater than 1.5m
- Fibre glass including baths, spas, roof sheeting etc
- Hazardous items
- Glass (windows, mirrors, fish tanks, tabletops)
- Garden waste (tree pruning, grass etc)
- Or any item that is deemed unacceptable or unsafe.
Accepted Items List
- One (1) mattress OR one (1) ensemble base (if you have more than one mattress or ensemble base please contact Soft Landing https://softlanding.com.au/ or take to the ACT resource management centre or Braidwood or Bungendore transfer station)
- Damaged Furniture that can be lifted by two people
- Broken toys
- Items too large to fit into the waste to landfill bin (red lidded bin)
- Broken tools
- Damaged electrical items (No TVS or computers or monitors)
- White goods
- General household waste
If you are unsure if one of your items is acceptable or not please contact council on 1300 735025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Before making a kerbside collection booking you will be required to accept the terms and conditions.
If you need to amend or cancel a booking you can do this online. If you need to cancel or change your booking, please do this by the Friday before your booking date.