Nominations for Councillors is now closed.
Candidates and groups must register with the NSW Electoral Commission and appoint an official agent before accepting political donations and making payments for electoral expenditure, as well be nominated to be included on the ballot paper. Nominations and registrations closed 12 noon Wednesday 9 August. For information, visit www.votensw.info/candidates.
Still have questions - download our 2017 QPRC elections FAQ here(PDF, 2MB).
Download the presentation given at the Candidate briefing sessions held 15 and 16 August(PDF, 4MB) .
On 12 May 2016, the NSW Government dissolved Queanbeyan City Council and Palerang Council and the new Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council was proclaimed. Mr Tim Overall has been appointed as the Administrator for the Council until the Local Government Elections on 9 September 2017.
Mr Overall can be contacted in the following ways:
Telephone - 0410 530 681 or 6285 6223 (work)
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Eight former councillors from the former Queanbeyan City and Palerang councils were appointed to the Queanbeyan-Palerang Local Representation Committee which was in place from May 2016 to 30 June 2017.
- presides at meetings of the Council
- carries out civic and ceremonial functions
- in cases of necessity exercises policy making functions of the Council between meetings.
- performs other functions as the Council determines.
- The Local Government Act 1993 gave legislative effect to the traditional view of Local Government Administrators that the role of the Mayor and Councillors is to formulate policies for a Council’s operations, to determine the budgetary priorities and to review performance to ensure that the objectives are achieved. The Act specifically provides that it is the Councillors who direct and control the affairs of the Council in accordance with the Act.
The role of a Councillor is, as a member of the governing body of the Council:
- to direct and control the affairs of the Council in accordance with the Local Government Act
- to participate in the optimum allocation of the Council's resources for the benefit of the area
- to play a key role in the creation and review of the Council's policies and objectives and criteria relating to the exercise of the Council's regulatory functions
- to review the performance of the Council and its delivery of services, and the management plans and revenue policies of Council.
The role of a Councillor is, as an elected person:
- to represent the interests of the residents and ratepayers
- to provide leadership and guidance to the community
- to facilitate communication between the community and the Council
- to direct and control the affairs of the Council in accordance with the Local Government Act.
Local Government Elections will be held for the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council on 9 September 2017 when 11 Councillors will be elected.
Once the new Council is elected they will then elect a Mayor for a two year term.
We have also developed some Election FAQ's which can be downloaded here(PDF, 2MB) .
For more information about the upcoming elections please visit the Vote NSW website.