COMPLETED Old Cooma Road - Stage 2
- Project typeCapital Works
- Project value$31 million
- Project scheduleCompleted June 2020
- Contractor nameWBHO Infrastucture
- Completion Date15 June 2020
This stage involved a 4.5km long duplication of Old Cooma Road from Edwin Land Parkway to Googong Road and three are two lanes in each direction. There is also for cyclists and a 2.5 metre off road shared path.
Council has received 100% funding for this project from the NSW State Government $70 million road package as part of the Monaro Palerang Program.
The budget for this project was $31 million. This includes design, design construction, project management and land acquisitions.
The key features of the duplication include
- Two lanes in each direction separated by a 6 metre wide central median.
- Stabilisation of the failing rock cutting on the western side of the Stage 1 upgrade
- Shared off-road cyclist and pedestrian pathway linking Queanbeyan to Googong
- Provisions for on-road cyclists
- An 80km/h speed limit from Edwin Land Parkway to Googong Road
- Upgraded intersections at Wickerslack Lane, Tempe Crescent/Heights Road, and Talpa Road
- A Fauna underpass in the Gale area
- Noise mitigation measures
- The new road will have a similar appearance to the Stage 1 work.
The sod was turned to mark official start of the project on Monday 21 January 2019. Construction is now underway with approximately 80% of the earthworks and 40% of the the road pavement work completed. The new road is expected to be open to traffic by October 2020.
Old Cooma Road, Googong 2620 View Map