All Ordinary and Planning and Strategy Committee Meetings are open to the public, however some matters may be held in closed session depending on the content. Section 10A of the Local Government Act sets out those matters which a Council can deal with in Closed Session.
Council’s Code of Meeting Practice(PDF, 508KB) makes provision for public involvement but makes it clear that this involvement is now required by law to be dealt with separate to the Council Meeting itself. To accommodate this, Council has developed a Public Forum. The Chairperson will adjourn the official Council meeting to allow the Public Forum to take place.
The Public Forum will consist of:
- Presentations from members of the public who wish to speak to items being considered on the agenda of the Council meeting
- The Tabling of petitions, in line with Council’s Petitions Policy(PDF, 301KB)
- Written Questions on Notice from the community on any issue relating to the Council’s legislative responsibilities
- Presentations which have been invited by the CEO/GM
Members of the public wishing to make presentations on an item on the agenda of a Council meeting must register to speak prior to the commencement of the meeting. They can speak for a maximum of three minutes with the Chair having the discretion to extend for a further two minutes. Presenters must state which item they are presenting on and whether they are speaking ‘for’ or ‘against’ the item. Presenters are not able to ask questions during their presentation. A person may apply to speak on more than one item on the Council agenda but must do so within the allocated time limit (three minutes). Presenters must refrain from digressing from the item they are speaking to and must refrain from engaging in disorderly conduct and obey the rulings of the Chair. You can register to make a presentation in the following ways:
- Complete the form below prior to 4.30pm on the day of the meeting
- Call the General Manager’s Office on 1300 735 025 prior to 4.30pm on the day of the meeting
- Register with the Clerk of the Chamber at the meeting venue between 5-5.30pm
Click here to view form.
Written questions on notice from the community can be about any Council-related business and do not need to be related to matters on the agenda. Questions on notice from the community must be submitted in writing, by using the online form below or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12pm on the Wednesday prior to the meeting. This allows staff time to prepare responses. All questions and responses will be tabled at each Public Forum, provided to the person who asked the questions and published on our website. From May 2019 all public forum questions and answers will be included in the minute documents which can be downloaded here.
Click here to view form.