All pets within the municipality need to be registered.
To register your pet for the first time you will need the animal’s 15 digit microchip number as well as proof of microchipping and desexing. Proof of concession is also required if you wish to pay a reduced registration fee.
You can register your pet online.
Alternatively, animal registration applications and fees can be lodged at the Pound in Old Sydney Road, Queanbeyan or at our Service Centre at 257 Crawford Street, Queanbeyan.
See our animal fees and charges(PDF, 3MB) .
All applications for registration are to be filled out in full and signed by the animal owner who must be over 18 years old.
To claim a concession on your registration fee, you must have evidence of the following:
- Desexing: A certificate of sterilisation from your vet
- Breeder membership: If the animal owner is a registered breeder, a copy of their membership from an approved organisation
- Assistance animal: If the animal is an assistance animal, evidence of assistance animal registration from an approved organisation
- Pension: If the animal owner is a pensioner, a current government pension card.
It is compulsory for all dogs and cats to be permanently identified (microchipped) by the age of 12 weeks and registered for life by age six months under the Companion Animals Act NSW 1998.
A microchip allows for your pet to be identified by Council or a vet which is important should they become lost.
Microchipping can be performed for a fee by your local vet, or at the Pound by a qualified microchip implanter.
You must update your pet's details with us when you move house or change your phone number. Forms are available from the Pound or you can call 02 6285 6269.
Failure to update your contact details may result in a fine.
You can also create an owner profile with the NSW Pet Registry.
This register allows you to:
- update your contact details online
- report your pet missing online
- change the ownership of pets online
As the current owner, it is your responsibility to provide ‘new owner’ details to Council should you sell your pet or give your pet away.
You will need to complete a pet ownership form [link] and include the new owner’s details and get their signature on the form before lodging it at the Pound or Council's Customer Service Centre. Failure to update ownership details may result in a fine.
Call Customer Service on 02 6285 6269 if you require further guidance or information.