Resource recovery and recycling programs

1. Return and Earn

You are now able to get a 10 cent refund for eligible drink containers as part of the NSW Government’s container deposit scheme, Return and Earn. Eligible drink containers include most between 150mls and three litres that are predominately consumed away from home and found in the litter stream.

Collection points will be located across NSW, including Jerrabomberra, Queanbeyan, Queanbeyan East and Braidwood which makes it easy for residents to return and earn.

To participate you simply take your eligible containers, that should be empty, uncrushed, unbroken and with the original label attached, to your closest return point. You can visit the Return and Earn website to check drop-off locations.

You can still use your kerbside recycling bins for ineligible drink containers. You can also still place your eligible containers into the kerbside recycling bins or even donate them to local charities or community groups that are collecting them for fundraising purposes.

Return and Earn is the state’s largest litter-reduction initiative and will help to reduce the almost 160 million drink containers littered in NSW communities every year.

The Return and Earn scheme is not a council run scheme and we do not operate the vending machine. If you have a complaint about the scheme please contact Return and Earn via their website

2. Chemical CleanOut Events and Community Recycling Centres (CRC)

Common household problems wastes, including fluorescent lights, smoke detectors, paint, gas bottles, fire extinguishers, batteries and oils, can now be taken to your local Community Recycling Centre throughout the year.

If there is no Community Recycling Centres in your area, you can take these items and others to a Chemical CleanOut event.

Check the link for eligible items and locations.

3. What can I do with my greenwaste?

  • Remember to check what can go into your green waste bin if you live in the former Queanbeyan Council area (check the sticker under the lid or back of your waste calendar ). If you have large amounts you can take your green waste to the nearest green waste drop off. Remember no garbage or plastic bags in your green waste bins
  • Food scraps can be fed to worms, compost bins, chooks, bokashi bins or the family pet. If you do not have any of these hungry beasts and you live in Captains Flat, Braidwood or Bungendore you can place your food scraps into a council supplied compostable bag and then into your ‘City To Soil’ green organics bin (check under the lid for acceptable materials or the back of your waste calendar ) - If you need more compostable bags please contact 1300 735 025 or call into the Council offices at Braidwood or Bungendore or transfer stations. In the meantime, you can put food scraps straight into the ‘City To Soil’ green organics bin, or wrap them in newspaper and then into the ‘City to Soil’ bin.  (Please do not use plastic or biodegradable bags for your food/pet waste if placing in the green ‘City To Soil’ bins only use compostable bags supplied by Council).