Old Cooma Road - Stage 2
- Project typeCapital Works
- Project value$31 million
- Project scheduleProject is scheduled to be completed late 2020
- Contractor nameWBHO Infrastucture
- Completion Date30 October 2020
This stage will involve the 4.5km long duplication of Old Cooma Road from Edwin Land Parkway to Googong Road and will be two lanes in each direction, as well as having provision for cyclists and a 2.5 metre off road shared path.
Council has received 100% funding for this project from the NSW State Government $70 million road package as part of the Monaro Palerang Program.
The budget for this project is $31 million. This includes design, design construction, project management and land acquisitions.
The key features of the duplication include
- Two lanes in each direction separated by a 6 metre wide central median.
- Stabilisation of the failing rock cutting on the western side of the Stage 1 upgrade
- Shared off-road cyclist and pedestrian pathway linking Queanbeyan to Googong
- Provisions for on-road cyclists
- An 80km/h speed limit from Edwin Land Parkway to Googong Road
- Upgraded intersections at Wickerslack Lane, Tempe Crescent/Heights Road, and Talpa Road
- A Fauna underpass in the Gale area
- Noise mitigation measures
- The new road will have a similar appearance to the Stage 1 work.
The sod was turned to mark official start of the project on Monday 21 January 2019. Construction is now underway with the new road to be open to traffic by October 2020.
Old Cooma Road, Googong 2620 View Map