Queanbeyan Civic and Cultural Precinct
- Project typeCapital Works
- Project valueApproximately $74 million
- Project scheduleDue for completion late 2022
Concept designs and the business case for the proposed Queanbeyan Civic and Cultural Precinct have now been prepared. The Development Approval was approved in November 2020. Tenders are currently open for the construction and will be assessed by staff in early 2021 with a recommendation going to the February 2021 Council meeting.
An essential component of Council’s CBD Transformation Strategy, is the redevelopment of 257 Crawford Street, Council’s old administration building. The former administration building has been unoccupied since 2015, largely due to the significant cost required to replace the heating and cooling system. With 257 Crawford St unoccupied, staff have been housed in 11 buildings across the CBD.
The concept design includes:
- two towers (3 and 5 levels above ground and mezzanine, connected to The Bicentennial Hall)
- ~ 6500m2 public realm
- ~ 1450m2 community space
- 2050m2 commercial space.
- 4000m2 council administration, including shopfront vi. public library space (+ integrating service desk and staff areas into head office)
- meeting rooms and break-out spaces (for receptions and conference)
- space for government offices (sold as strata)
- lettable commercial space (available initially for rental return, then for future growth)
- gallery connecting office building to Bicentennial Hall and Q Theatre
- ~100 car-space office and public basement parking
- rooftop garden
Council will take out a loan for the project, which will be paid for by merger savings, lease income and review of services. Council decided not to consider a special rate variation to service the debt for the head office.
- Internal Demolition - completed October 2018
- External Demolition - completed in June 2019
- Concept Designs - prepared by Cox Architecture Pty Ltd
- Community Consultation on concept designs and business case - October/November 2019 - completed December 2019
- Development Approvals - lodged January 2020 - approved November 2020
257 Crawford Street, Queanbeyan 2620 View Map